Cebu City BPLO Defends Permit Issuance to Landfill Operator After Deadly Trash Slide
BPLO Defends Permit for Landfill After Trash Slide

The Cebu City Business Permits and Licensing Office (BPLO) is defending its decision to issue a business permit to Prime Integrated Waste Solutions Inc. (PWS), the operator of the Binaliw landfill, despite a standing cease-and-desist order following a deadly trash slide on January 8, 2026, that killed 36 people.

Permit Issuance Explained

During a public hearing on the proposed "Cebu City Solid Waste Facility Public Safety Ordinance of 2026" authored by Councilor Mikel Rama, BPLO legal officer Cherry Cutillar explained that the company received its final business permit on April 17 after completing all standard requirements.

Cutillar stated that the company submitted all necessary clearances, including a certificate from the Cebu City Environment and Natural Resources Office (Ccenro), a valid sanitary permit, and a fire safety inspection certificate. "The basis for the issuance is that the applicant completed the requirements," she told the City Council.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

She further noted that the BPLO was bound by Republic Act 11032, or the Ease of Doing Business Act, which mandates government offices to process applications within a specified period. The company had been actively following up on its application, and there was no official order preventing the city from issuing the permit at that time. However, Cutillar added that the city could still revoke the permit if irregularities are discovered later.

Safety Concerns Raised

Councilor Joel Garganera strongly questioned the issuance, arguing that public safety should take precedence over processing deadlines. He noted that investigations into the landfill collapse are ongoing and that the facility remains under a cease-and-desist order.

"The January 8 incident was a tragedy that claimed 36 lives and injured many others. The city should have exercised extreme caution," Garganera said. He expressed concern that granting the permit could weaken the city's ability to challenge the landfill's operations in the future and questioned whether the city had verified the facility's safety.

Lack of Transparency

Garganera also criticized the lack of transparency regarding the partial lifting of the closure order by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR-EMB 7). He said the City Council and some city offices have not received copies of the order that allowed the landfill to partially reopen. He urged city offices to wait for the final results of the national DENR investigation before allowing the facility to proceed.

Current Landfill Operations

After the January 8 trash slide, the Binaliw landfill was completely shut down. However, during an April 28 meeting, PWS manager Niño Abellana confirmed that the landfill has resumed limited operations, accepting waste from private businesses.

The DENR-EMB 7 partially lifted the closure order, allowing the company to operate a separate engineered landfill cell under strict safety conditions while the rest of the site is being rehabilitated. This move has worried several city councilors, especially since the landfill resumed operations before the full investigation was completed.

Garbage Crisis Looms

Meanwhile, Cebu City is facing a growing garbage crisis as its trash-hauling agreement with Aloguinsan has expired. Local leaders are now considering the Binaliw landfill as a backup option, adding urgency to the situation.

What Happens Next

The debate over the Binaliw landfill highlights the difficult balance between enforcing strict safety regulations and addressing the city's immediate waste management needs. As local officials push for greater transparency, the outcome of the national DENR safety investigation will determine whether the facility can continue operations safely.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration